Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hurray for advanced open water!

Well, hurray for doing it anyway.

I'm going to be honest, I don't much see the point in AOW.  I'm not saying you don't learn things in it.  I try to learn and practice a bit on every dive.  That said, I know (for the most part) where I am as a diver and what I need to work on.  My training plan is Cavern > Intro to Cave, then after a bit at this level, Advanced Nitrox & Decompression Procedures, leading to Apprentice> Full Cave.

AOW doesn't really do anything for me there.  But, hey, now I can dive the Vandenburg without a divemaster...

I took AOW with Dayo Scuba in Winter Park, FL.  My girlfriend, Krista ( a two legged diver), and I were the only ones in the class, so that was cool.

Here are my logs from the second day:

8/6/10- AOW, DeLeon Springs, FL
    Navigation Dive.  Need more practice navigating, maintaining depth,  and counting kick cycles.  Maximum Depth 20’.  Vis around 40 feet.  Water 73f
    Dive # 22
    Bottom Time :30
    Bottom Time to date: 13:29
    Buddy: Krista Camp
    Instructor: TJ, Dayo Scuba

8/6/10- AOW, DeLeon Springs, FL

    Peak Performance Buoyancy dive.  Good buoyancy.  Need to be mindful to not scull. I know I don’t need to do it, but when my hands have nothing else going on, I do it subconsciously.  Maximum Depth 25’.  Vis around 40’.  Water 73f.

    Dive # 23
    Bottom Time: 30
    Bottom Time to date: 13:59
    Buddy: Krista Camp
    Instructor: TJ, Dayo Scuba



8/6/10- AOW, DeLeon Springs, FL

    Search and Recovery Dive.  Fun.  Moved block with a lift bag.  Then poked my head in the cavern entrance.  Very strong flow.  It keeps hundreds of empty snail shells ‘floating’ in the current in a small cut of rock.  I poked my head in and saw the stop sign.  No grim reaper.  Disappointing.   Maximum Depth: 28’ Vis around 40’.  Water: 73f.

    Dive # 24
    Bottom Time: 30
    Bottom Time to date: 14:29
    Buddy: Krista Camp
    Instructor: TJ, Dayo Scuba

No comments:

Post a Comment